Pages

Wednesday 15 November 2017

WALT Using different types of sentences for effect Read


WALT Using different types of sentences for effect

Read:

A tsunami is a large wave on the ocean, usually caused by an undersea earthquake, a volcanic eruption or coastal landslide. A tsunami can travel hundreds of  miles over the open sea and cause extensive damage when it encounters land.

Think about the different sentence lengths:
The water is only metres away now. I stand frozen on the beach, praying that the ocean will merely tickle my toes with its cooling surf. But it does not. A huge, roaring sea tiger devours me in one ravenous bite, lifts me off my feet and tosses me like a rag doll towards the hotel. I can’t see. I can’t breathe. This is it. I am going to die…
See how the last few sentences are all short, but one after the other. It creates tension and puts the pictures in your mind that the character really is gasping for breathe.
‘But it does not’ - this sentence is blunt, opposing the sentence before it.

Add in punctuation (make sure you use different sentence lengths):
Round and round and round. I like an old pair of socks in a giant washing machine. I am thrown against chairs and tables and plant pots and parasols.Thwack! A heavy cocktail glass falls from the bar and strikes on my head. Blood fills my eye. I cannot see. Frantically  I thrash my arms and legs, trying to reach the palm tree. I can't just make out of my left my fingertips. Brush against the tree trunk and I struggle to grab hold of it. I am caught up in the spin cycle again round and round and round. I go scraping against walls and steps and sun beds and broken bottles. I cannot possibly survive this.


Boom!.I walked out of the room door as my heart was pounding.I look around the house putting my feet against the floor as my feet was moving left.Right.Left.Right.I stomp down the stairs roaming around the kitchen.I power walked in fear.As soon i trip i bumped my eye on the floor, heard some foot steps heading over to me no i can't see.Am scared.HELP! HELP!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.